Motrin is one of the brand names of Ibuprofen. Other trade names are Advil and Nuprin. It belongs to the drugs prescribed for musculoskeletal conditions. It is administered to manage pain and/or inflammation. Other uses include: temporary remedy for minor joint pains, common colds and influenza, premenstrual syndrome, headache, toothache, and muscle aches. Unlike other analgesics, Motrin is not derived from opium. Belonging to the heterogeneous class of drugs, Motrin is known to be one of the non-opioid analgesics, which include salicylates such as aspirin, para-aminophenol derivatives such as acetaminophen, and NSAIDs such as Naprosyn, Relafen and Ibuprofen. However, just like any other medication, Motrin side effects may be minor, or serious.
The said NSAIDs examples have different chemical structures but they offer the same side effects. Some common reported Motrin side effects are constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, flatulence, headache, heartburn, and nausea. One of the side effects of Motrin is sedation. On the other hand, better tolerance and less dependence are observed with this drug use compared to the other ones belonging to the opioid group.
Aside from its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, Motrin is also an antipyretic. It acts to inhibit the release of cyclooxygenase-l (Cox-I) and cyclooxygenase-2 (Cox-2) and the synthesis of pain mediators such as prostaglandins at an injury site. One side effect of Motrin, results from its action on Cox-1. Inhibiting Cox-1 can bring undesired reactions as it produces alimentary toxicity in the form of stomach pain or upset, ulcers and inflammation; it fails to protect the lining of the stomach. Another Motrin side effect is bleeding, which may lead to perforation that requires immediate surgical intervention.
Prostaglandin suppression may also affect gastrointestinal mucosa by altering its function and the kidneys by altering its blood flow. This occurs following disruption of prostaglandin synthesis in the kidneys, which supposedly regulates blood flow as well as glomerular filtration.
Of these Motrin side effects, one should take note of severe side effects that may be fatal. Hence, medical attention should be sought as soon as possible. These can be in the form of allergies such as rashes, difficulty in breathing, and oral sores. This tendency is increased with the presence of aspirin allergy. Other Motrin side effects include the following:
- Cardiopulmonary-related- These present with the symptoms of: angina, sudden weight gain, hypertension, tachycardia, fainting, and arrhythmias, which may lead to subsequent heart attacks. It is for this reason that Motrin use is contraindicated prior and following cardiac surgeries, with underlying cardiac conditions such as high blood pressure, and for females who are pregnant especially those in their third trimester.
- Psychiatric- As one of Motrin side effects, an individual’s affect may also be altered. Some patients experience mood swings; some even become depressed and confused. Worsening of psychotic symptoms has even been observed in few cases.
- Gastrointestinal – Some GI upsets may also be classified as severe and fatal. These are the following: persistent stomach upsets & vomitting. Another severe side effect of Motrin is blood-filled stools that are usually dark-colored. As Cox-1 is inhibited, gastrointestinal bleeding may happen anytime, putting the elderly more at risk, as their immune system is weaker. Incidence is seen in 17-23% of all patients. Precautionary measures should be also be observed for those who are taking other medication such as NSAIDs (aspirin and Naprosyn) and steroids and those who already have gastric ulcers and bleeding disorders.
- Musculoskeletal-related – These include unusual lethargy, arthralgia, myalgia, painful neck, numbness and swelling of the limbs.
- Neuromuscular – Although it happens rarely, severe Motrin side effects may lead to brain attacks, seizures, hemiparesis, and meningitis.
- Hepatic – Although rare, a handful of cases have been reported that lead to hepatitis and bile duct syndrome.
- Integumentary side-effects- These include jaundice (seen in the eyes and skin), skin erythema, gaps, and blisters.
- Renal – These include acute kidney problems, but may also lead to chronic renal failure. Studies show that risk to these serious conditions is elevated with prolonged use.
- Other systems- Other systems of the body may also manifest Motrin side effects, which include tinnitus, fevers and chills as well as vertigo.
These side effects hold true for both adult and children users of Motrin. With all these side effects in mind, professional advice should be sought prior to Motrin use. Tell your doctor if you have adverse experiences with pain-reliever use, and have other underlying medical conditions such as bleeding disorders (Hemophilia), hypertension, liver and kidney conditions, asthma, alcoholism, lupus, and even dehydration. The names of other medicines you are taking should also be divulged such as diuretics and aspirin, ACE inhibitors, corticosteroids, antibiotics (such as Ciprofloxacin), Probenecid and anticoagulants. These conditions and drugs alike may interact with Motrin adversely.
Motrin Side Effects can also occur in the form of toxicity. It is therefore crucial for doctors to monitor continually between the drug’s therapeutic benefit and safety. Hence, persistent discomfort brought about by these side effects necessitates seeing your doctor.