Considering any possible Celebrex side effects is very important, when we decide whether to have a treatment with this medicine. Celebrex is mostly used to treat symptoms of: osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis, other pains that can appear after having a surgery, tooth extractions, menstrual cramps, but it can also be prescribed for other diseases as well, that are not mentioned here. This NSAID works by relieving the pain and reducing swelling and inflammation. But before taking this medicine is important to learn about any possible Celebrex side effects, and I’ll try in this article to describe and name, some of the most common contraindications of this drug.
So, what are the Celebrex side effects?
Stop taking Celebrex and tell your doctor immediately:
- if you have an allergic reaction manifested by rash, facial swelling or wheezing
- if appears jaundice ( yellowing manifested in the skin or eyes)
- if blisters appears on the skin
- if appears signs of bleeding in the stomach or intestine manifested by black stools or vomiting blood
- if appears intense stomach pain
Common Celebrex side effects
- stomach pain, diarrhea, indigestion, bloating
- dizziness, insomnia
- stuffy nose, nasal sinus inflammation, sore throat, respiratory infections
- water accumulation in the body, swollen ankles or feet
Uncommon Celebrex side effects
- anxiety, depression, fatigue, blurred vision, tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- anemia, abnormal liver and renal function tests
- hypertension, palpitations (irregular heart beat), shortness of breath, coughing
- swelling of the mouth, nausea, vomiting, gastritis ( inflammation of the stomach), constipation
- effects on the skin such as urticaria, tingling or burning
- tension in the muscles, muscle cramps in the legs
- urinary infections
- heart attack, heart failure, high blood pressure
Rare Celebrex side effects
- skin reactions such as bruising or increased sensitivity to sunlight
- reduction in white blood cells and blood platelets
- digestive ulcers, intestinal perforations, sore throats, blood stools
- difficulty in swallowing
- hair loss
Very rare Celebrex side effects
- reduction in all blood cells
- skin reactions such as swelling, blistering and peeling skin
- severe allergic reaction, anaphylactic shock, wheezing and coughing
- nausea, gastrointestinal bleeding
- acute pancreatitis (inflammation of pancreas)
- hepatitis (liver inflammation), renal failure
- muscle pain, joint pain, inflammation of blood vessels, heart failure, myocardial infarction, headache, feeling confused
Some patients may have experienced other Celebrex side effects that are not listed above and in this case you need to consult your doctor right away. One essential first step before using any kind of medication, including Celebrex, is to discuss with your doctor and inform him about significant facts about your health, for example allergies we may have, other medical conditions, or if we’re having other treatments with different medications. This is important in order to minimise the risk of side effects of Celebrex.
The use of NSAIDs, including Celebrex is often associated with a higher risk of cardiovascular events such as stroke or heart attack. A daily Celebrex dosage over a prolonged period of time increases that risk. That’s why because of this increased risk and to prevent any of the Celebrex side effects I’ve mentioned above, you should be monitored by your doctor while you’re receiving a treatment with this drug. Patients who have suffered a heart attack or a stroke in the past, and those with poor blood circulation, high blood pressure, or those suffering of diabetes should also get a close medical supervision.
Celebrex side effects on pregnancy is also a very important aspect. Specialists say that this drug shouldn’t be used while pregnant only if the benefits are higher than the risks, and should not be taken in the last semester of pregnancy. Celebrex medication shouldn’t be used while breastfeeding because this drug passes into the breast milk and your baby may feel the effects.
Side effects of Celebrex like dizziness and drowsiness may be felt by people who are driving or those who are having other activities that requires lots of attention, that’s why you should stop such activities while you’re under treatment with this NSAID. For older people Celebrex side effects can be greater, so it’s better for them to be under a close medical supervision. Another important fact that you need to take into account, is that you should avoid drinking alcohol while taking Celebrex.
Celebrex interaction with other medications
Sometimes medicines may affect each other. Before taking Celebrex, be sure to tell your doctor if you take :
- Aspirin or other non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs
- ACE inhibitors (drugs used to treat hypertension)
- Diuretics (drugs that help remove water from the body)
- oral contraceptives
- Warfarin or similar drugs to prevent blood clotting
- medications for depression, psychosis or irregular heartbeat
- Celebrex may be taken concurrently with low dose of Aspirin (less than 75 mg per day)
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines including the ones obtained without prescription.
Hope you found this information useful, and you need to keep in mind that there is always a chance of having possible Celebrex side effects at any time.