Celebrex dosage can be different from a person to another, and it can be determined according to different factors: body weight, the disease treated, other medical conditions or treatment with other drugs. Celebrex belongs to the category of drugs called NSAIDs (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs), and works by blocking a substance that causes pain and inflammation. Celebrex is used in treating symptoms of: rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or other acute pains. If you are not sure about Celebrex dosage you need, it’s better to discuss about this with your doctor or pharmacist.
The recommended Celebrex dosage
Celebrex dosage and duration of use vary from person to person depending on the disease being treated. Remember that to relieve the pain, Celebrex must be used in the lowest effective dose. To treat symptoms of osteoarthritis the usual indicated dose is 200 mg 1 a day, or 100 mg 2 times a day. This Celebrex dosage is the same for those suffering from ankylosing spondylitis, 200 mg 1 a day, or 100 mg 2 times a day. To treat moderate to severe pain the indicated dose of Celebrex is 400 mg 1 a day in the first day of treatment, then in the next days, 200 mg 1 a day. Treatment should not exceed 7 days. The maximum recommended dose is 400 mg per day.
For those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, the usual indicated starting dose is 100 mg 2 times a day. The dose can be increased to 200 mg 2 times per day, only if it was recommended by your doctor.
Celebrex dosage for elderly (over 65 years) it begins with a dose of 200 mg per day. If needed, it can be administered 400 mg per day. Particular caution is recommended for elderly with weight below 50 kg. Administration of Celebrex has not been studied in children, so this drug will be used only by adults.
If your doctor has recommended a different Celebrex dosage than the ones mentioned here, don’t change that without consulting him first. Also remember, that Celebrex can be taken with or without food. If you miss a dose during your treatment with Celebrex, take it as soon as you remember and continue with your regular schedule. If it’s almost time for your next dose, don’t worry about the missed one and continue with your schedule. Never take a double dose to replace the missed one. If you are doubting about what to do after missing your Celebrex dosage, it’s better to ask your doctor for more information.
Important information about Celebrex dosage
Do not use Celebrex:
- if you are allergic to Celecoxib or any other ingredients of Celebrex.
- if you have allergic reactions to the group of medicines called “sulphonamides”
- if you suffer from asthma, nasal polyps or severe nasal congestion, or allergic reactions manifested by skin rash with itching, swelling after taking Aspirin or other antirheumatic drugs (like Ibuprofen) or COX-2 inhibitors.
- if you suffer from gastric or duodenal ulcer, or if you have bleeding in the stomach or intestines.
- if you suffer from Crohn’s disease.
- if you have heart failure or severe liver or kidney disease.
- if you suffer from heart disease or if you have suffered a heart attack or stroke.
Take special care before using Celebrex dosage
- if you have edema (fluid accumulation in the body).
- if you lose fluids due to vomiting or diarrhea.
- if you are treated from an infection, because Celebrex may hide fever, which is one of the signs of infection.
- if you have high potassium levels.
- if you are taking Aspirin or other antirheumatic drugs (for example Ibuprofen).
- if you take medicines to reduce blood clotting (for example Aspirin). These treatments should not be interrupted.
- if you smoke, suffer from diabetes, angina, hypertension or cholesterol.
- if you have heart, liver or kidney problems or have over 65 years, your doctor may ask a regular medical examination before prescribing dosage of Celebrex. Also he will tell you how often to do that.
To get the best results in treating your medical condition, and avoid Celebrex side effects, read carefully the leaflet of this medicine. Take your daily Celebrex dosage as it was recommended by your doctor or pharmacist, and if during treatment with this medicine, you will experience unknown symptoms, stop taking it and search medical attention. Also, don’t stop taking your Celebrex dosage without discussing first with your doctor.