Aspirin dosage represents the quantity that has been recommended by your doctor or pharmacist, to help treating the pain or inflammation. Aspirin (acid acetylsalicylic) is considered by many “a miracle drug” and is the first discovered from NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) class. Currently is one of the most used drugs worldwide, with an estimated annual consumption 0f 40.000 tons. Aspirin helps prevent the production of prostaglandins, which are chemical substances produced by the body, that promote pain and inflammation. Aspirin is used to relieve pain, inflammation and fever caused by conditions such as: back pain, neck pain, flu, common cold, menstrual pain, headaches, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, migraines, nerve pain, toothache, sprains and strains, bursitis, muscle pain or pains following dental and surgical procedures. But before having a treatment with this NSAID it’s better to know a detailed aspirin dosage information which is different for children and adults.
What is the indicated Aspirin dosage for adults ?
The recommended aspirin dosage for adults varies according to the disease being treated. For adults, to relieve the pain or reduce the fever, the indicated dose of aspirin is between 325 mg and 650 mg every 4-6 hours. The maximum dose per day is 4000 mg, unless you have other recommendations from your doctor.
- To treat inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis, the recommended dose for adults is 975 mg, 4-6 times a day at regular intervals.
- For treating pains of migraine, the indicated dosage of aspirin for adults is 1000 mg, at the first appearance of pain or symptoms.
- The recommended dose of aspirin in case of heart attack is between 160-162, 5 mg. If you suspect the occurrence of a heart attack you need to call the ambulance, and take the indicated dose of aspirin as long as you don’t have other diseases or factors that prevents you from using this medicine.
- When it comes to prevent blood clots after surgery, the indicated dose is 650 mg 2 times a day. This treatment begins 1 day before surgery and continues 14 days after, unless your doctor will give you other indications.
- In case of inflammation the recommended daily dose is between 60-125 mg per kg of body weight.
- In treating rheumatic fever the daily aspirin dosage is 80 mg per kg of body weight, divided into several doses.
Administration of aspirin may reduce stroke risk with 25% and with 13 % the risk of death, compared with patients not taking this medicine. Also, it’s thought that aspirin may prevent cerebral ischemic attacks by thinning the blood.
Recommended Aspirin dosage for children
The use of this drug is not indicated for children to treat fever, however your doctor can recommend it in other circumstances such as pain. In this case the indicated dose is between 10-15 mg per kg of body weight, taken every 6 hour, but should not exceed 2400 mg per day.
Important information about Aspirin
Several factors need to be taken into account in determining the right aspirin dosage that someone needs: body weight, other diseases or the use of other medicines. If your doctor has prescribed a different aspirin dosage that the ones mentioned here, don’t change that and always follow his indications. If you miss your dose you need to take it as soon as you remember, or if it’s time for your next dose, don’t worry about the missed one and continue with your regular schedule. Never use a double dose to replace the missed one. If you have questions about what to do after missing your aspirin dosage, ask your doctor for more information. Also, keep in mind that some people can experience Aspirin side effects or Aspirin allergy.
In case of prolonged treatment with this drug, it is best to choose enteric-coated aspirin tablets, because they are coated with special substances that prevents irritations of the stomach. This special coating allows a tablet to resist the action of gastric secretions, and not dissolve before reaching the small intestine. Since this coating delays the effect of the drug, the use of enteric-coated tablets is not indicated when you want a quick relief. You can take your aspirin dosage with food to avoid stomach upset. Enteric-coated aspirin can be taken without food.
Never miss your daily aspirin dosage if you want to treat the pain or condition you’re suffering from. Aspirin can be administrated orally, or can be chewed for faster effects (installs in about 15 minutes).